The world is celebrating what you do, and we want to, too.
Global Running Day (GRD) is coming up on June 7, and it’s an opportunity to shine a spotlight on your commitment to sharing your sport with the world.
You’re already doing this, one race at a time, but since our mission is to make the world a more active place and we do that through you, we invite you to join us in promoting Global Running Day. It’s a great time to stir up excitement and remind runner wannabes, kids and couch potatoes alike about the sheer joy of running.
You’re familiar with the benefits of running—those boosts to your body and mind that help you keep putting one foot in front of the other when it gets hard. But remember the joy of running as a kid? To chase the ball with all your might. To steal third base. To be released outdoors at recess.
That’s the spirit we want to recapture for Global Running Day—not only to celebrate running but to grow the endurance industry. So encourage your participants to take part in some type of running activity on June 7. It can be as spontaneous or organized as you or they want. The whole point is to inspire a passion for moving.
Here are some ideas for getting the word out:
- Host a Virtual Event. A virtual race is a one that can be run (or walked) from any location your participants choose. They can run or walk on the road, trail, treadmill, at the gym or on the track (or even at another race). They get to run at your own pace. It’s not too late to send out a communication encourages your past participants to hit the ground running on June 7 as part of YOUR Global Running Day. (Outside Magazine gives a few start-up tips here.)
- Using Facebook Live, become a live broadcaster of your own Global Running Day event. What would you say to inspire new runners to hit the road? Encourage seasoned runners to try something new in their training program—like trail running or a new route. You could interview someone, host a Q&A, or create a miniature event.
- Selfie Video Promo: You can create a cheap and easy selfie video in an hour or less. So what do you have to lose? Give a personal account of how running has changed your life and encourage your viewers to pledge and run on June 7.
- Challenge serious runners to get out and move with a child or a non-runner. Share your enthusiasm with the world, and encourage others to do the same by posting how they participated in Global Running Day, using #GlobalRunningDay.
- Offer specials, discounts, or gear giveaways to reward those who join you in celebrating Global Running Day.
- Do you currently have registration open for an event? Offer a small percentage of the registration fee to a charity you support for anyone who signs up on Global Running Day.
- Host a free t-shirt giveaway open only to first-time racers.
- Give a discount to anyone who registers a friend.
- Challenge your community to get their kids involved – and pledging to run via the Million Kids Run campaign (part of GRD). The Million Kid Run is about making fitness fun and inspiring kids to embrace running as a way to get healthy and fit. Afterward, encourage them to post their story using #MillionKidsRun.
Anyone can participate in Global Running Day—whether it’s a 10K or a family game of tag—by pledging participation at GlobalRunningDay.org. Take advantage of this global event to expand the reach of your race.