Who says email’s dead? Not the estimated 2.5 billion email users worldwide. Just like you, potential racers are refreshing their inboxes hourly in the never-ending quest to stay connected.
Still, some race directors don’t realize the power and continued relevance of email as compared to other, flashier marketing and promotion tools. Email marketing is a proven way to increase your registration numbers, raise awareness and build loyalty.
Here are six reasons why you should up your email marketing game:
- It’s More Accessible than Ever: Race directors can reach a potentially huge audience with smart email marketing. Cell phones, tablets, iPads, laptops, desktops—there’s a myriad of ways people connect to their inboxes these days. According to a 2014 study by Forrester, 42 percent of email messages from retailers were opened by consumers on their smartphones and 17 percent were opened on tablets.
- It’s Return-on-Investment Is Monster: Compared to other types of marketing like social media and direct mail, email is dirt cheap with a high rate of return. The Direct Marketing Association puts the ROI of email marketing at about $40 for every $1 invested.
- It’s Almost Infititely Customizable: An email can look and feel like anything you want. To reach your subscribers, create a variety of email templates such as a letter format, an article or even a simple list of instructions. ACTIVE Works Endurance allows for a number of visual email templates along with adding interesting headers. If you’re using other registration software, find email marketing templates online.
- It’s Still Really, Really Popular with Consumers: Just about everyone has email, while other methods of promotion can be hit or miss depending on the audience. A 2012 Ipsos/Reuters poll showed that eighty five percent of people around the globe who are connected online send and receive email. So a race director’s best bet for marketing an upcoming race is hands down through email marketing.
- It’s Personal: Personalized emails drive 18 times more revenue than broadcast emails, according to Jupiter Research, and it’s easy to see why. Email allows race directors to build relationships with registrants and participants in a timely manner. You don’t have to worry about invading personal space because subscribers can always check your emails at a time most convenient for them. Keep conversation flowing with past, present and future registrants and participants with timely emails, full of strategic pieces of information.
- It Allows You To Divide and Conquer: Email allows you to reach out to specific customers by dividing your subscribers into groups. Use your email marketing data to target and engage your subscribers with content most relevant for them. For example, you can introduce past participants to new products or services, provide new and future registrants with the details they need, reach out to sponsors and beneficiaries and drive participants from other local events to your website and online registration.
Still not convinced? Need help on how to get started? Check back to the blog for the next installment in our Email Marketing Series.