Forget the future—mobile is the consumer communication vehicle of the NOW. More mobile devices are being purchased (especially smartphones) and people are using them more. But whether you have a smartphone or a dumbphone, it’s no secret that most people don’t let their mobile devices leave their sides (or pockets). It’s not just tweens texting and Facebooking…this is everyone. That means it’s time for event directors to start mobilizing.
Still not convinced? Below are 10 Game-Changing MobileStats:
1. Over 90% of the U.S. population aged 13 and over uses mobile devices (Source: CodeGeek.com)
2. 91% of all U.S. citizens have their mobile device within reach 24/7. (Source: Morgan Stanley, HubSpot)
3. It takes 26 hours for the average person to report a lost wallet. It takes 68 minutes for them to report a lost phone. (Source: Unisys, HubSpot)
4. 73% of Americans use their mobile devices to text and take pictures, 44% to access the internet, and 38% to send/receive email. (Source: Pew Internet & American Life Project)
5. 70% of all mobile searches result in action within 1 hour. (Source: Mobile Marketer, HubSpot)
6. Mobile coupons get 10 times the redemption rate of traditional coupons. (Source: Borrell Associates, HubSpot)
7. In 2011, the number of smartphones sold exceeded the number of PCs. By 2014, it is estimated that 1 billion smartphones will be sold – twice as many as PCs. (Source: Pew Research Center)
8. The number of Americans using smartphones exceeded 100 million in January 2012. That marks an astronomical growth rate of 13% between October 2011 and January 2012. (Source: ComScore)
9. 46.3% of smartphone owners are aged between 25 and 44 (Source: comScore, MobiLens, MarketingProfs)
10. 38% of U.S. smartphones owners have used their device to make a purchase (Source: comScore)
And these stats don’t even take into account the exploding tablet market…but that’s for another post!
What does all this mean for race directors? Your website probably has been your key communication channel for speaking to participants…but now, mobile is the place to be. Active.com trends are consistent with the industry. Currently, a whopping 18% of Active.com site visits and 6.5% of transactions are via mobile. And that’s just in one year since we’ve been mobile enabled.
Your participants are using mobile devices to search and register for events, so make sure your event can be found there!
SEE ALSO: 10 Mind-Blowing Social Media Stats